Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Stefanie Sherman Museum Visit



Description:

This photo was taken by Anna Wagner from the Kendall College of Art and Design. The photo's subject is a mug nestled in a woven basket. The mug has water and a tea bag in it. In the basket, around the mug, is some kind of dark green gossamer cloth and a variety of flowers. The lighting is somewhat dimmed creating a relaxed feeling. The top of the picture at the edge of the basket fades to black so that all we see is what is in the basket.

Why I selected this piece:

This piece reminds me of having tea with my mother on our picnic table at our home in the highlands of Tanzania. The earthy tones of the brown basket and the green of the cloth and the flowers is peaceful. It makes me want to walk in the middle of nowhere and have tea.

Techniques:

Instead of setting the mug off to the side to the rule of thirds, the photographer decided to make it dead centre. The way the mug is nestled in the cloth and flowers creates depth and draws our eyes to the middle. The light source appears to be golden, giving the photo a warm, comforting feel. The light also is coming from the side, which makes me think that it is sunset.  The way that the area behind the basket is lost in shadows draws our attention to the basket. The color choice was on point. The greens and browns give it an earthy feel, as I already mentioned above. The red and pink flowers give the photo a color pop and create interest. The forefront of the photo is somewhat blurred, drawing our eyes to the sharp mug. All in all the photographer used focus, lighting and framing to draw our eyes to the mug in the middle. Because the handle of the basket is cut off, it seems as though someone could be holding it.

Interpretation:

Because of the warm and earthy feel from the flowers and colors, it makes me think that the basket is in a forest somewhere. The rabbits on the mug bring to mind Peter Rabbit and other stories from children's books. This photograph makes me think of getting lost in a forest in the late afternoon, to me it represents being at peace in nature and enjoying the simplicity of life. The whole photograph is just a mug in a basket, it is very simple, but for some reason it is intriguing.


Judgment:

I enjoy this photo. It makes me want to be there with that cup of tea, staring out at the golden sun that is shining on the basket.


My Inspired Photo:

The original photo had a warm and comforting feel. For my photo I decided to go the other way and give a off a cold and uninviting feel. I decided to keep the mug that is inviting, but instead of surrounding it by things that are peaceful, I surrounded it by a black scarf and metal bracelets. The lighting is not warm like in the original, rather it is dark and shadowy, giving it a gloomy, depressing feel. My photo is showcasing a conflict between the warm cup of tea and the harsh, cold surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment