Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Kayla Herrmann-Museum Visit

Description: This was taken by a student at Kendall College. It showcases a torn up opened letter. Its contents are showing; color against white. The letter has a familiar feel to it and because almost everyone has received a letter before, it makes the photo more personal. It's a simple photo, yet it makes the viewer wonder why it's so worn down and what's inside.

Why I enjoy it: I really like this photo because it is so simple yet it still evokes emotion. It makes me wonder who the letter is from and who it was given to. It reminds me of a letter that has been opened and closed many times...like a special letter someone carries with them and opens often. Simple yet has its own story.

Technique: The photographer kept things simple so the focus is completely on the letter. They drew your eye to exactly what they wanted to-the letter. By keeping the background plain and having the photo be zoomed in so only the letter is shown, it lets the letter be the focus of the photo.

Interpretation: To me, this looks like a letter that is very important to someone. The kind of letter that you see someone carrying with them and constantly opening and closing, reading and rereading.

Judgement: I like the simplicity the photo holds. The neutral background is nice and the fact that the photo is zoomed makes it easy for a person to pick up on the focal point that is the letter.



My photo: I took this photo of opened letters that I had received over time since being here at Cornerstone. I put it in black and white to not take away from the letters themselves because the envelopes were all different bright colors. I like the feel that the black and white gives the photo as well. I wanted to keep the focus on the letters still so i made sure they were isolated. Taking this photo reminded me of how easily mail gets torn when you're excited to open it, impatient with opening it, or when you constantly take the contents out and put them back in the envelope. Letters are not always considered modern anymore, but to me, they are still appreciated and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment