Monday, December 14, 2015

Reagan Hoezee--Museum visit



Description: This photo was taken by a student at Kendall College. It depicts a young man sitting outside on a cement stair landing with his knees raised and his back against a wall. It is nighttime, but he is in a dimly lit area, and there is a greenish hue to the photo.

Why I enjoy it: I enjoy looking at this photo because of the emotion it stirs in me. It seems like I can feel what the man is feeling. I am the type of person who likes to think deeply and reflect on life, and that seems to be exactly what he is doing.

Technique: The photographer uses light and color to create a somber mood. The fact that the picture is taken during nighttime, as well as his/her use of the dark green hue, gives the photo an air of sadness. The fact that the man is sitting all alone, outside in the middle of the night tells the viewer something is wrong.

Interpretation: The man seems to be sad, but not depressed. The fact that he is looking up, and not down, tells me he is thinking about some tragedy or mistake he has made, but in a more reflective manner. It seems to me that he just needed to get away and try to make sense of his pain.

Judgment: It is clear in this photo that the subject is sad, but I think I would take it a step further by having him put his head down. That would add to the melancholy mood, and stir a stronger emotion within the viewer. The subject pointing his head down would really strengthen the idea that he is feeling deep pain and/or remorse, and is taking time alone to make sense of his struggle.


This is a photo I took that was inspired by the picture from the museum. It shows my brother sitting up against a wall in the corner of our house. I wanted him to pose similarly to the man in the other picture as to give the photo a somber mood. I turned off the lights and turned on a small lamp to give the photo dim lighting like the original picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment