Friday, December 11, 2015

Jessica Bonkowski- Museum Visit


 The image is a person entirely dressed in white standing there with a box on their head. The entire picture is white except for a face painted on the box. The face is a simple two dots for eyes and a sideways parenthesis spray painted in black. The painted areas are bleeding downwards as if they painted the box while it was standing up. The light comes from the left and casts a shadow on the persons left arm, but our right side looking at it. The shadow gives it a bit of contrast to all the white in the photo. 

Techniques used would be things like negative space. Sure there is a person but they are wearing white and blend in a bit with the background; it really allows the viewer to focus on the face on the box. Also, the fact the light is coming from one side makes your eyes start by looking at the face then from the light side of the body to the dark. It seems to me the photographer wanted a specific path at which you looked at it. 

I enjoyed this piece because it is so simple yet conveys such a deep meaning. My interpretation of this piece is that the photographer was trying to convey how society is shaping its people. We are told to put on a happy face and live our lives instead of being the unique individuals we are. To me this piece shows how people hide their true feelings because no one cares for each other anymore. We don't take time to invest in people so we just put on a happy face and hide what we truly feel. The drips of the face, or bleeding as I called it earlier, conveys to me the pain inside the person to want to show their feelings but just can't. The bottling up of their problems, feelings, and experiences is killing them inside. 

My judgment of this photo is that it was very well done. The simplicity of it pulls me in honestly. The white gives it a lighter feel instead of being on a dark background. Overall, I just enjoyed this piece because of what I thought it meant. I love simple yet deep meaning photos and this is definitely one. The only thing I just don't like is that the person isn't really in the center, but the photographer may have done this on purpose. 

My Photo: 

My photo is similar in meaning, but different representation of it. I took a photo of a hand. It is supposed to look like it is reaching out for help. The finger tips are more pressed to the paper while the middle of the hand looks a bit distant and this is because the hand is pulling away. In other words, the person is not trying to reach out for help anymore. This is similar to the picture above because the person has given up trying to show feelings so they put on a fake face. 


No comments:

Post a Comment