Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Gallery Visit // Madison Herrema

This photo was taken in Gallery 154, downtown Grand Rapids. It is a framed photograph of a cemetery landscape, in the fall. A little bit over the top half of the photograph is full of red-orange fall leaves. The lower part of the photograph is green grass with a lot of white-gray cemetery stones. 

I like this photograph because fall brings out so much color and vibrancy. Also, this cemetery reminds me of the one by my house where my friends and I would play and read all of the names and dates of dead people. It brings back a memory. 

Color harmony COULD be a technique used in this photo because the orange is more of a RED-orange, contrasting with green on the opposite end of the color wheel. The rule of thirds is also used. The horizon line is right where a line of rule of thirds is and a couple of cemetery stones are lined up on two more lines. 

I'm not sure of the interpretation of this photograph. From what I think, I think the vibrancy of color surrounding the neutral stones symbolizes life. But, then again, fall is the season of falling, dying leaves, so maybe the leaves are vibrant in color before they die and the stones in this photo represent the future. So maybe this photograph represents present and future. Leaves being the present time and the stones represent what is to come in the end of life. 

I do like this photograph because of the color and cemetery stones really interest me because each one tells a story. Although, the framing of this photo really gives it an old look. 

I chose to go to the cemetery by my house and take some pictures like the one above, except it is spring right now, so I do not have colorful trees. I thought I caught the horizon just right in the photograph below. What is different from this photo and the one that inspired me is the horizon line in the photo below is higher than the one above. Also, the stones aren't as grouped together as I'd like them to be, and the season is not fall. The other photographs below this one are extra. They represent a family line that died and were placed by each other. All photographs are same metadata.

  ISO: 100 f/6.3 Shutter 1/125





No comments:

Post a Comment