Tuesday, May 2, 2017

"Gallery" | Matt Nykamp

For my Gallery selection I chose to focus on Alexander Calder. Calder was an American sculptor who's emphasis work was focused on floating and mobile metalwork. Both models I shot are dubbed "Calder Red" for their noticeable red hue. Both sculptures were created in a time called "the constructionist movement". Constructionism simply refers to a large frame being created by putting together smaller pieces. 

The first sculpture I chose is located in Calder Square in downtown Chicago. Named "the Flamingo', you would almost go right past it if you didn't know where to look. Ironically, the whole square around it is surrounded by black buildings, making the calder red really stand out. The atmosphere of the sculpture and square it's in can almost feel eerie. I visited later in the evening when the sun was low and the shadows were high and the dark buildings felt like tall black walls. It just had a somber feeling to it.
1/100 | ƒ/1.8 | ISO 100 

The second sculpture I shot is here in Grand Rapids. Outside the city hall and Kent County building, "La Grande Vitesse" is a very similar structure to the Flamingo. In this image I tried to replicate the somber and dreary feel to it.


1/150 | ƒ/2.8 | ISO 100


No comments:

Post a Comment