Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Gallery Visit: Becca McDonald

This is a photo of a pencil drawing that hung in the art hallway of Kendall College of Art and Design. It is a drawing focused primarily on a person's hands that are folded together at their waste. The background of the drawing is made up of the person's pants and shirt. The drawing contains both of the individual's hands, half of their right forearm, and the top side of their left wrist.

When I saw this piece, I was intrigued as it forced me to think about what the individual was doing and thinking. Additionally, it prompted questions like "Why did they have their hands folded," "What kinds of emotions could they be feeling," and "Where could they be?" Because this image pushed me to consider such things, I became interested.

Due to the fact that this is not a photo and instead a drawing, there were techniques used that I am unfamiliar with. However, it is clear they made great use of shading to shed light on certain areas of the drawing.

I don't really know what the artist was attempting to convey in this drawing, but I do know that when I look at it, I get a rather somber feeling. It feels emotional to me in the sense that it looks contemplative and intentional. Furthermore, it makes me think of prayer. Perhaps the artist was attempting to convey those things (somber, emotional, prayer).

I like this drawing. It focuses specifically on hands, which I think tell you a lot about a person. These particular hands tell me that it is likely a middle-aged white male in the drawing. Moreover, the drawing made me think. It prompted questions and forced me to consider the different states (emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual) of the subject, which makes me like it a lot.

The image below is the one I took that was inspired by the above drawing. I think they are similar in that they both convey a rather heavy emotion. Though my photo is not of folded hands, it is of open hands, and like the closed hands above force you to ask questions regarding the state of the individual, I think the photo of the open hands does the same.

Also, a bit of a side note, my final portfolio was inspired by the drawing from the gallery as well.
Shutter Speed: 1/6
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO: 200

No comments:

Post a Comment