Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Gallery Visit- Sarah Asprec



  Artist: Unkown
 
I went to the art gallery at Kendall College and enjoyed looking at the drawing section, primarily because I draw myself and I like seeing different techniques artists use. I was drawn to this piece because of the amount of contrast the artist chose to use. I find it beautiful because I know that the artist began on a blank canvas, and created something unique out of nothing. 
The drawing itself is done in pencil so it has no color to it, but the original photo the artist chose to base this drawing on is compelling. The subject is a girl in a turtle neck sweater who has a septum piercing, long hair, and strong facial features. Her face is directed towards the window where the light source is coming from, but her eyes are looking at the camera. She lacks expression on her face, but the shadows coming from the blinds of the window evoke interest. The artist who drew this girl was very precise in detail, and did not seem to hesitate on the amount of contrast which only enhances the drawing’s overall appeal.
I interpreted this piece with an approach to sadness. The girl lacks expression, but her eyes have a certain pain to them. Overall, I like this drawing a lot. I like that the artist chose to use pencil mainly because it eliminates color which lets the viewer see the piece without being distracted by various colors that could have been present. The artist took a long time to accomplish this, and the techniques and effort put into it is prevalent. 



ISO: 400/Shutter Speed: 1/320/Aperture: f/2.8

This is the photo I took out of inspiration of the art piece above. It is similar in the sense that there is lighting coming from a window which creates contrast and shadow on her face. The subject in this photo is expressionless, but her eyes are directly looking a the camera which connects to the drawing. The main difference would be the color use because I chose not to make it black and white.




No comments:

Post a Comment