Sunday, December 11, 2016

Museum Visit - Katelyn Fabricatore

This past fall, I had the pleasure of visiting ArtPrize. I got to see many amazing artworks, but one that stood out to me in particular was "Hanging Pyramids" by Daniel Lancaster located in the Grand Rapids Police Station . I really enjoyed this piece because of its bright complimentary colors and the fact that it lights up - these elements make it very visually pleasing. The upside-down pyramids point in all directions, giving it a slightly unsettling and chaotic feeling. The swirls of analogous colors of the pyramid also add to the chaotic-ness of the piece. The points of the pyramids are outlined in black which I think is very visually pleasing and also serves as leading lines to move the viewers eyes through the piece.


The artists says the following about the piece, "The human eye is light seeking, and my generation seems to be attracted to 'the best and brightest'... My sculpture has an effect similar to the fluidity of water and the mesmerizing aspect of fire. Though constant manipulation of light, I can create an illusion of movement... light changes our perception of color. Manipulating light changes its hue on individual pieces. The constant change of color creates the illusion of movement within the assemblage in many ways. The constant manipulation of shadows and highlights seem to redefine the shapes we see." 

The artist touched a bit on this in his description of the piece but I believe he is trying to bring attention to the fact that we are naturally drawn to things that produce light. Because we are drawn to objects that produce light, they are the first things we see when we walk into a room. By making his 
I really enjoy this sculpture and honestly, in the right room, I could see hanging it in my future house. The colors and patterns are very pleasing to the eyes and although it is very unique, it is not too chaotic that it is a distraction or not pleasing to look at.

Many of the elements used in this piece - lighting, shadows, leading lines, and color can also be used in photography to place emphasis on the objects of most importance within a frame. 

ISO: 200   Aperture: f/8   Shutter: 1/250

I was inspired by Daniel Lancaster's "Hanging Pyramids" to take the picture above. I tried to incorporate his use of bright colors and rigid defined line to draw the viewers eyes to the picture. I also used the natural lighting of the sun coming from above to highlight the tops of the pieces of kettle corn. Much like in Lancaster's piece, I used shadows to give the picture an element of chaos and uncertainty.  



No comments:

Post a Comment