Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Elizabeth Okma - Gallery Visit

Elizabeth Okma
PHO 236
Museum Visit
Dec. 7, 2016

             About a week or so ago, I ventured to the Frederick Mejier Garden with plans on shooting pictures for me final project. As I was about to leave, I noticed an art gallery off to the side and thought I'd take a look. As I neared the door, I noticed a group of photos off to the side. The artist name was Darlene Kaczmarczyk, and the pictures showed images of faces missing and objects with age. The set of pictures were used to convey a visual represtation of Alzheimer's and how the disease slowly takes away the memories and faces of those with it. The one that mainly caught my eyes was a picture of a man standing staring at what I believed to be his home. A circle of a black and white, and upside down image of the same picture surrounded him. Above were what looked like diary entries written in an ink pen. The picture used color and texture, such as the man's hair. It also had what could be said to be leading lines through the black and white roof, drawing our eyes to the man. While the images themselves looked as if they were taken with a simple camera, the way they were edited and their message captured my attention. The thought of losing your memories and what makes you you is terrifying to me. I am my memories and my stories. To me, every face and every moment I've experience is special, and without, I'd be a shell.
             This idea was what held me attention, as I looked at each picture. Yes, the pictures were simple and edited to give them a different look that you would normally get from simply taking a picture, but I think it worked for the series. This one personally I wish had a little more depth of field to it, but I love how it didn't try to go bright with its colors. The message would have been a little diffcult to understand if one hadn't read the sign next to it, but that's the way art is suppose to be. It's suppose to make us think and solve like a puzzle with a thousand different answers. 
             Once I realized what I looking at, it was my turn to do my own. The original plan was to do similar editing as the picture, but honestly, that way of doing art is more hers than mine. So, I tried something else. I choose to focus more on the message and the colors. I stayed with the simple green and browns from the original picture, as well as the natural feel. Most importantly, I tried to keep the message the same but in my terms. The picture below was taken from the top of the hill on which my home sits on. This is where I grew up, the place where I'd watch the sun rise and fall. I'd stand at the top and wait for friends to walk up the drive or run into the woods to enter into a world all my own. This place is more important to me than another place in the world. To forget it would be to forget a place of myself. The sun is also a symbol of how memories themselves fade. One day, they are bright and beautiful, but over time, they fade away and blur before dying all together. The only difference is that the sun will always rise in the morning; memories don't. 

1/25, F30, ISO 3200

No comments:

Post a Comment