Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Elizabeth Otten - Museum Visit


Elizabeth Otten
Photography
Phrene
Museum Visit
For my museum visit I decided to go to the Grand Rapids Art Museum. There was a lot of beautiful pieces throughout the whole exhibit that I enjoyed viewing. One that I especially enjoy was a piece done by Childe Hassam, called Summer Sea. This was an oil on canvas painting of the Isles of Shoals, which was Hassam’s favorite summer retreat. Hassam’s painting won the Jennie Sesnan Gold Medal at the Pennsylvania Academy of FIne Arts 105th Annual Exhibition in 1910, and because of this his work traveled to museums across the country.
To describe this painting, all you need to do is close your eyes and view an ocean with a path of rocks leading down to it. Picture yourself right near the edge of the path where you can see the rocks but then you can see nothing but water straight ahead. You see nothing but openness and it is relaxing. When it comes to the dynamic of the painting I really enjoyed the colors meshed together in it. There are so many different neutral colors put together to add great detail to the photo. I also enjoy it because you can tell that it is an escape spot. Before I read the information about the painting, I thought to myself that it looked like the perfect place to get away to. With that being said, for my photo I went to my favorite summer spot and took a photo. Grand Haven has always been my go to area and so when I went there I wanted to try to get a photo that capture a lot of its beauty, which is why I took the photo so far back from the water. Grand Haven has plenty of escape spots that I can go to and just relax in my own thoughts. I wanted my photo to look like a place that you want to visit just like Hassam’s painting makes me want to visit the Isles of Shoals.

No comments:

Post a Comment