Friday, December 8, 2017

Savanna Roberts- Museum Visit


Savanna Roberts
PHO 301
Museum Visit
December 8, 2017

For this assignment I went to a small, locally owned art gallery and store, this gallery was downtown toward the market. Where this store was located, it was sort of the dead zone of downtown, not a lot of business, and many homeless people. This interested me a lot given that this gallery was very put together. What caught my attention the most was this series of four paintings, they were of  young boys faces, one was on each painting, two looking directly at you and two looking away. The paintings were painted with dark colors like blacks, blues, grays, and low skin tones--each painting having one specific color more than the other. Usually I'm attracted to bright colors, but in this case the emotion in each boys face intrigued me. Another thing that I loved about these paintings is that even though they are all different something about them is the same, the connection is huge. These can mean so many things but for me the interpretation of this is in all the eyes of these boys. Each boy has some type of longing, vulnerable, but strong look in his eye. It's almost like they have witnessed something they shouldn't have or had to grow up way too fast. Sadly, I witness this look a lot in younger men where I come from. Again, what I really loved is that all these boys are so different looking, but they have one common factor that brings them together, good or bad. People nowadays don't see that they may have so much in common with someone because they can't get past how they look. Altogether, I love these paintings, I would love them even if they were separate, but together they are very powerful.



These are pictures I took of my nephew while on a family outing. I feel these pictures relate to the paintings in a few ways besides being a child that's a boy. At this time, we were getting ready to leave and my nephew had had enough, plus he is going through a lot of things, family wise, that at his age he won't understand. By nephews actions, you can tell he really doesn't know what to do with all the separate emotions he's feeling and doesn't know what they are or why they are there. So, with these pictures I caught him at a vulnerable point. With these pictures you can see the transformation of his face with no emotion, kind of emptiness, and in the second photo you can see the sadness and frustration. With this in mind I made sure the photos where darker with more shadows. Even though these are photos and not paintings, like the paintings, there is a lot of emotion behind these pictures, and that is what I was trying to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment