Thursday, October 27, 2016

Caleb Joyce - Pictorialism

The Pictorialists would smear vaseline on their lenses and do other things to manipulate the process of taking pictures to achieve a different look than just straight-up photography. I used cellophane to protect my lens and then smeared vaseline on it to change the 'stroke' pattern. 

1/60  iso100  f8
With this picture I wanted to see if I could use the vaseline to give the fire hydrant emotion. I was going for 'sadness'. I smeared it in a circular pattern, trying to give a droopy look towards the top. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else in the picture to achieve a lonely feel, adding to the idea of sadness. 


1/60  iso100  f8
For this picture I chose a scene one might see in a painting and then smeared the vaseline in the same direction the railing was going to simulate the brush strokes that a painter might use to paint this scene. I also used vaseline to create a vignette type look around the edges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment